Monday, April 25, 2016

Beginner conversation

Lesson 1 - Where are you from?
Lisa :   Hi.      
James : How are you? 
Lisa :   I'm good. How are you?        
James : Good. Do you speak English?           
Lisa :   A little. Are you American?   
James : Yes.    
Lisa :   Where are you from? 
James : I'm from California.   
Lisa :   Nice to meet you.       
James : Nice to meet you too.

Lesson 2 - Do you speak English?  
Mary :  Excuse me, are you American?          
Robert :           No.     
Mary :  Do you speak English?
Robert :           A little, but not very well.      
Mary :  How long have you been here?          
Robert :           2 months.       
Mary :  What do you do for work?    
Robert :           I'm a student. How about you?         
Mary :  I'm a student too.       




Lesson 3 - What's your name?

John :   Excuse me, what's your name?           
Jessica :           My name is Jessica. What's yours?     
John :   John.   
Jessica :           You speak English very well. 
John :   Thank you.     
Jessica :           Do you know what time it is? 
John :   Sure. It's 5:10PM.       
Jessica :           What did you say?      
John :   I said it's 5:10PM.       
Jessica :           Thanks.           
John :   You're welcome.         


Lesson 4 - Asking directions.
Amy :  Hi Michael.    
Michael :         Hi Amy. What's up?  
Amy :  I'm looking for the airport. Can you tell me how to get there?         
Michael :         No, sorry. I don't know.        
Amy :  I think I can take the subway to the airport. Do you know where the subway is?   
Michael :         Sure, it's over there.   
Amy :  Where? I don't see it. 
Michael :         Across the street.       
Amy :  Oh, I see it now. Thanks.       
Michael :         No problem.   
Amy :  Do you know if there's a restroom around here?       
Michael :         Yes, there's one here. It's in the store.           
Amy :  Thank you.     
Michael :         Bye.    
Amy :  Bye bye.         



Lesson 5 - I'm hungry.

Thomas :          Hi Sarah, how are you?          
Sarah : Fine, how are you doing?      
Thomas :          OK.    
Sarah : What do you want to do?      
Thomas :          I'm hungry. I'd like to eat something.
Sarah : Where do you want to go?    
Thomas :          I'd like to go to an Italian restaurant. 
Sarah : What kind of Italian food do you like?         
Thomas :          I like spaghetti. Do you like spaghetti?         
Sarah : No, I don't, but I like pizza.   



Lesson 6 - Do you want something to drink?

Susan : David, would you like something to eat?      
David :            No, I'm full.   
Susan : Do you want something to drink?     
David :            Yes, I'd like some coffee.      
Susan : Sorry, I don't have any coffee.          
David :            That's OK. I'll have a glass of water. 
Susan : A small glass, or a big one?    
David :            Small please.  
Susan : Here you go.  
David :            Thanks.           
Susan : You're welcome.        


Lesson 7 - That's too late.
Richard :         Mary, would you like to get something to eat with me?       
Mary :  OK. When?    
Richard :         At 10 O'clock.
Mary :  10 in the morning?     
Richard :         No, at night.   
Mary :  Sorry, that's too late. I usually go to bed around 10:00PM.  
Richard :         OK, how about 1:30 PM?      
Mary :  No, that's too early. I'll still be at work then. 
Richard :         How about 5:00PM?  
Mary :  That's fine.     
Richard :         OK, see you then.      
Mary :  Alright. Bye.  

Lesson 8 - Choosing a time to meet.

Charles :          Jennifer, would you like to have dinner with me?     
Jennifer :         Yes. That would be nice. When do you want to go?
Charles :          Is today OK? 
Jennifer :         Sorry, I can't go today.          
Charles :          How about tomorrow night? 
Jennifer :         Ok. What time?          
Charles :          Is 9:00PM all right?   
Jennifer :         I think that's too late. 
Charles :          Is 6:00PM OK?          
Jennifer :         Yes, that's good. Where would you like to go?         
Charles :          The Italian restaurant on 5th street.   
Jennifer :         Oh, I don't like that Restaurant. I don't want to go there.    
Charles :          How about the Korean restaurant next to it?
Jennifer :         OK, I like that place. 

Lesson 9 - When do you want to go?
Linda : Hi Mark.         
Mark :  Hi.      
Linda : What are you planning to do today? 
Mark :  I'm not sure yet.         
Linda : Would you like to have lunch with me?        
Mark :  Yes. When?    
Linda : Is 11:30AM OK?      
Mark :  Sorry, I didn't hear you. Can you say that again please?       
Linda : I said, 11:30AM.       
Mark :  Oh, I'm busy then. Can we meet a little later?           
Linda : OK, how about 12:30PM?    
Mark :  OK. Where?   
Linda : How about Bill's Seafood Restaurant?          
Mark :  Oh, Where is that?     
Linda : It's on 7th Street.       
Mark :  OK, I'll meet you there.         

Lesson 10 - Ordering food.
Host :  Hello sir, welcome to the French Garden Restaurant. How many?  
Charles :          One.   
Host :  Right this way. Please have a seat. Your waitress will be with you in a moment.    
Waitress :        Hello sir, would you like to order now?        
Charles :          Yes please.     
Waitress :        What would you like to drink?          
Charles :          What do you have?    
Waitress :        We have bottled water, juice, and Coke.       
Charles :          I'll have a bottle of water please.       
Waitress :        What would you like to eat?  
Charles :          I'll have a tuna fish sandwich and a bowl of vegetable soup.           

         
Lesson 12 - Do you have enough money?
Joe :     Laura, what are you going to do today?        
Laura : I'm going shopping.   
Joe :     What time are you leaving?   
Laura : I'm going to leave around 4 O'clock. 
Joe :     Will you buy a ham sandwich for me at the store?    
Laura : OK.    
Joe :     Do you have enough money?
Laura : I'm not sure.   
Joe :     How much do you have?       
Laura : 25 dollars. Do you think that's enough?        
Joe :     That's not very much. 
Laura : I think it's OK. I also have two credit cards. 
Joe :     Let me give you another ten dollars. 
Laura : Thanks. See you later.
Joe :     Bye.    


Lesson 13 - How have you been?
Karen :            Hello Richard.
Richard :         Hi Karen.       
Karen :            How have you been? 
Richard :         Not too good.
Karen :            Why?  
Richard :         I'm sick.          
Karen :            Sorry to hear that.      
Richard :         Its OK. Its not serious.          
Karen :            That's good. How's your wife?          
Richard :         She's good.     
Karen :            Is she in America now?          
Richard :         No, she's not here yet.
Karen :            Where is she? 
Richard :         She's in Canada with our kids.          
Karen :            I see. I have to go now. Please tell your wife I said hi.         
Richard :         OK, I'll talk to you later.        
Karen :            I hope you feel better.
Richard :         Thanks.           


Lesson 14 - Introducing a friend.
Michael :         Robert, this is my friend, Mrs. Smith.           
Robert :           Hi, Nice to meet you. 
Mrs. Smith :    Nice to meet you too.
Robert :           Mrs. Smith, what do you do for work?         
Mrs. Smith :    I'm a doctor.   
Robert :           Oh. Where do you work?      
Mrs. Smith :    New York University hospital in New York City. What do you do?           
Robert :           I'm a teacher.  
Mrs. Smith :    What do you teach?   
Robert :           I teach English.          
Mrs. Smith :    Where?           
Robert :           At a high school in New Jersey.        
Mrs. Smith :    That's nice. How old are you?           
Robert :           I'm 32.         

Lesson 15 - Buying a shirt.
Dan :   Excuse me.     
Maria : Hello sir, may I help you?      
Dan :   Yes. Can I see that shirt on the top shelf please?      
Maria : Sure. Here it is.          
Dan :   How much does it cost?        
Maria : 50 dollars.      
Dan :   50 dollars. That's too much.  
Maria : How about this one? It's on sale for only 35 dollars.
Dan :   I don't like that one.   
Maria : How about the one next to the black gloves? It's very similar to the one you like.  
Dan :   That's nice. How much is it?  
Maria : 30 dollars.      
Dan :   That'll be fine.
Maria : Is this color OK, or would you like a different color?          
Dan :   That blue one's fine.   
Maria : Do you need any more of these shirts?          
Dan :   Yes.    
Maria : How many do you want?      
Dan :   I'll take two more, a red one and a white one.           

Lesson 16 - Asking about location.
Paul :   Excuse me, I'm looking for the Holiday Inn. Do you know where it is?      
Nancy :            Sure. It's down this street on the left.
Paul :   Is it far from here?     
Nancy :            No, it's not far.           
Paul :   How far is it? 
Nancy :            About a mile and a half.        
Paul :   How long does it take to get there?   
Nancy :            5 minutes or so.          
Paul :   Is it close to the subway station?       
Nancy :            Yes, it's very close. The subway station is next to the hotel. You can walk there.   
Paul :   Thanks a lot.   


Lesson 17 - Do you know the address?
Mark :  Excuse me. Do you know how to get to the mall?    
Betty : Sure, I used to work there. Go straight for about a mile, then turn left at the light. The mall will be on the right.   
Mark :  Do you know the address?    
Betty : Yes, the address is 541 Main street. 
Mark :  Can you write it down for me please?           
Betty : No problem.   
Mark :  Is it faster if I take Highland avenue?           
Betty : No, that way is longer. There are more stop lights on that street.     
Mark :  I think you're right. Thank you.         

Lesson 18 - Vacation to Canada.
George :          What's today's date?  
Sandra :           It's July 5th.   
George :          When are you going on vacation?      
Sandra :           I'm leaving on Sunday. We're going to Canada.       
George :          Really? The day after tomorrow? That's very soon.  
Sandra :           Yeah I know. 
George :          How long are you going to stay there?          
Sandra :           About 2 weeks.          
George :          When are you coming back?  
Sandra :           I'm coming back on the 17th.
George :          Alright. Have a nice trip.       

Lesson 19 - Who is that woman?
Donna :           Joseph, who is that woman?  
Joseph :           That's Susan.  
Donna :           What does she do for work?  
Joseph :           She's a lawyer.           
Donna :           Is she American?        
Joseph :           No, but she speaks English fluently.  
Donna :           She's really tall. Do you know her?   
Joseph :           Yes, I know her. We're friends.         
Donna :           Who's that man standing next to her?           
Joseph :           Which man?   
Donna :           That short guy on her right. What's his name?           
Joseph :           Oh, that's Matt.          
Donna :           He's really good looking.       
Joseph :           Yeah.  
Donna :           Do you know him?    
Joseph :           I don't know him, but I think my sister does.
Donna :           Is he married?
Joseph :           Yes, he's married.       
Donna :           I remember now. I met him before.   

Lesson 20 - Common questions.
Carol : Brian, do you know how to speak English?  
Brian : Yes.    
Carol : Where did you learn? 
Brian : I learned in college.    
Carol : You speak really well.
Brian : Thank you.     
Carol : How long have you been in the U.S.?           
Brian : 3 weeks.         
Carol : Is your wife with you?           
Brian : Yes, she just got here yesterday.       
Carol : Have you been to California before? 
Brian : No. I've never been there.      
Carol : Have you ever been to Las Vegas?    
Brian : Yes. I went there once on a business trip.     


Lesson 21 - The supermarket is closed.
Sharon :           Jeff, I'm going to the supermarket. Do you want to come with me?
Jeff :    I think the supermarket is closed now.          
Sharon :           Oh, When does it close?        
Jeff :    It closes at 7:00 on Sundays.
Sharon :           That's too bad.           
Jeff :    Don't worry, we can go tomorrow morning. It opens at 8:00.       
Sharon :           Alright. What do you want to do now?        
Jeff :    Lets take a walk for a half an hour. My sister will get here at about 8:30PM and then we can all go out to dinner.
Sharon :           Where does she live? 
Jeff :    She lives in San Francisco.     
Sharon :           How long has she lived there?           
Jeff :    I think she's lived there for about 10 years.  
Sharon :           That's a long time. Where did she live before that?   

Jeff :    San Diego.      

No comments:

Post a Comment